By Jack David Eller
• sacrifice (both animal and human);
• self-mortification (including self-injury, asceticism, and martyrdom);
• spiritual persecution (from anti-Semitic pogroms to witchhunts);
• ethno-religious clash (including such hotspots as Sri Lanka, Northern eire, and the previous Yugoslavia);
• spiritual wars (from the traditional Hebrews’ wars and the Christian Crusades to Islamic jihad and Hindu righteous wars);
• and non secular murder and abuse (spousal abuse, genital mutilation, and "dowry death," between different manifestations).
In the ultimate bankruptcy, "Religion and Nonviolence," the writer examines nonviolent and low-conflict societies and considers quite a few tools of coping with clash.
This booklet is going some distance towards aiding us comprehend the character of violence often, its advanced connections with faith, and the way society sooner or later may keep away from being blindsided via the worst facets of human nature.
Read Online or Download Cruel Creeds, Virtuous Violence: Religious Violence Across Culture and History PDF
Similar violence in society books
Among Stalin's loss of life in 1953 and 1960, the govt of the Soviet Union published millions of prisoners from the Gulag as a part of a wide-ranging attempt to opposite the worst excesses and abuses of the former twenty years and revive the spirit of the revolution. This exodus integrated not just sufferers of prior purges but in addition these sentenced for felony offenses.
Within the Americas, debates round problems with citizen's public safety--from debates that erupt after hugely publicized occasions, resembling the shootings of Jordan Davis and Trayvon Martin, to people who regularly dominate the airwaves in Latin America--are ruled by way of individuals of the center and upper-middle sessions.
In accordance with media studies, Latin the United States is without doubt one of the so much violent areas within the world—a contrast it held in the course of the 20th century. The authors of Violence and Crime in Latin the USA contend that perceptions and representations of violence and crime at once influence such behaviors, growing profound results for the political and social textile of Latin American international locations.
A clean and engaging heritage of crime and violence in England during the place of work of the coroner In his interesting debut, Matthew Lockwood explores the background of crime, murder, and suicide in England over 4 centuries in the course of the place of work of the coroner. whereas the place of work used to be validated to enquire violent or suspicious deaths, Lockwood asserts that the calls for of competing events progressively formed its platforms and reworked England right into a sleek kingdom prior to is usually said.
- Domestic Violence in Diverse Contexts: A Re-examination of Gender (Routledge Advances in Health and Social Policy)
- Inherited Responsibility and Historical Reconciliation in East Asia (Political Theories in East Asian Context)
- Hindu Nationalism in India and the Politics of Fear
- The Conquest of Death: Violence and the Birth of the Modern English State
- From #BlackLivesMatter to Black Liberation
- The Battle over Peleliu: Islander, Japanese, and American Memories of War (War, Memory, and Culture)
Additional resources for Cruel Creeds, Virtuous Violence: Religious Violence Across Culture and History