By Clint Johnson
From the Founding Fathers to the frontiersmen who tamed the West to the rustic tune, NASCAR, Biblethumping middle of "Red nation" the US, the South is the quintessence of what is unique, distinct, and so much enjoyed approximately American tradition. And with its emphasis on conventional values, kin, religion, army provider, sturdy manners, small govt, and independent-minded humans, the South is simply undeniable extra livable than the North--which is one the reason is, thousands of Yankees, white and black, were relocating down South in droves.
The Politically fallacious Guide(tm) to the South delivers the proof in the back of rankings of revelations like these:
· How Southerners led the best way in drafting the announcement of Independence, the U.S. structure, and the invoice of Rights
· How the Northern victory ended in modern day omnipotent federal government
· Why race relatives in state-of-the-art South are far better than within the North--or wherever else in America
· Why the South is of course conservative (and the North is of course liberal)
· How American jazz, blues, and rock and roll all got here from the South
· Why Southerners are overrepresented within the military--and no, it is not poverty
· the easiest American literature? Southern, of course
"The South is all approximately reminiscence, history, and delight of place," writes Clint Johnson. "I refuse to move in addition to the expunging of that reminiscence, history, and delight, and that i wish the readers of this booklet, Northern and Southern, will stand up and sign up for me in protesting people who find themselves attempting to do it."
Read or Download The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again) (The Politically Incorrect Guides) PDF
Similar anthropology books
The research of oral traditions and verbal arts leads into a space of human tradition to which anthropologists are more and more turning their cognizance. Oral Traditions and the Verbal Arts offers updated assistance on easy methods to procedure the examine of oral shape and their performances, treating either the practicalities of fieldwork and the equipment in which oral texts and performances might be saw, accumulated or analysed.
Different types of plural marriage, or polygamy, are practiced inside of many of the world's cultures and religions. the fantastic edition, versatility and flexibility of polygamy underscore that it's not simply an unique non-Western perform, but additionally exists in sleek Western societies. Polygamy: A Cross-cultural research presents an exam and research of old and modern polygamy.
Urbanization is likely one of the most crucial approach occurring in African nations. This booklet offers a lucid and informative examine of the importance of urbanization for social switch in sub-Saharan Africa, which has important implications for all constructing areas. initially released in 1974.
Written particularly for classes that conceal organic anthropology and archaeology, this beautifully illustrated new textual content bargains the main balanced and updated creation to our human previous. Devoting equivalent time to organic anthropology and prehistory, this article exposes scholars to the various aspects of significant debatable matters, regarding scholars within the medical notion strategy via letting them draw their very own conclusions.
- Plural Marriage for Our Times: A Reinvented Option?
- The History of Ecuador (The Greenwood Histories of the Modern Nations)
- Shifting Contexts: Transformations in Anthropological Knowledge (ASA Decennial Conference Series: The Uses of Knowledge)
- Abolitionizing Missouri: German Immigrants and Racial Ideology in Nineteenth-Century America (Antislavery, Abolition, and the Atlantic World)
Extra info for The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again) (The Politically Incorrect Guides)