By René Girard
Read or Download Violence and the Sacred (Bloomsbury Revelations) PDF
Similar violence in society books
Among Stalin's demise in 1953 and 1960, the govt of the Soviet Union published thousands of prisoners from the Gulag as a part of a wide-ranging attempt to opposite the worst excesses and abuses of the former twenty years and revive the spirit of the revolution. This exodus incorporated not just sufferers of earlier purges but additionally these sentenced for felony offenses.
Within the Americas, debates round problems with citizen's public safety--from debates that erupt after hugely publicized occasions, reminiscent of the shootings of Jordan Davis and Trayvon Martin, to those who frequently dominate the airwaves in Latin America--are ruled through contributors of the center and upper-middle sessions.
In accordance with media stories, Latin the US is likely one of the such a lot violent areas within the world—a contrast it held in the course of the 20th century. The authors of Violence and Crime in Latin the US contend that perceptions and representations of violence and crime at once impression such behaviors, developing profound results for the political and social textile of Latin American international locations.
A clean and interesting heritage of crime and violence in England in the course of the place of work of the coroner In his interesting debut, Matthew Lockwood explores the historical past of crime, murder, and suicide in England over 4 centuries during the place of work of the coroner. whereas the place of work used to be confirmed to enquire violent or suspicious deaths, Lockwood asserts that the calls for of competing events progressively formed its platforms and reworked England right into a sleek country prior to is usually said.
- The Stickup Kids: Race, Drugs, Violence, and the American Dream
- Police Violence in America, 1869–1920: 256 Incidents Involving Death or Injury
- The Seductions of Quantification: Measuring Human Rights, Gender Violence, and Sex Trafficking (Chicago Series in Law and Society)
- The Anatomy of Violence: The Biological Roots of Crime
- Threat Assessment and Management Strategies: Identifying the Howlers and Hunters, Second Edition
- Educação e Direitos Humanos: Percepções sobre a escola justa (Portuguese Edition)
Extra info for Violence and the Sacred (Bloomsbury Revelations)